Critical to ensuring an organization creates a governance structure that is relevant, sustainable, and effective requires taking the time to identify the proper scope for certification or compliance, and then performing an assessment of the current state to that of the chosen standard or framework.
Radian works with the client’s leadership and process owners to identify the proper scope to the desired standard or framework. Identification of the human resources, technical infrastructure and assets, information types, processes required, and physical locations that will be supported is critical to identify prior to completing an assessment.
In most cases, the Scope identification and the Assessment are done at the same event. In some cases, however, an organization is not sure if all business units need to be in scope, or locations for example. In that case, we strongly recommend a scoping session first. Then based on that outcome, the organization has a clearer path with a realistic budget and resource needs to move forward to Assessment.
Our Scope service includes:
• Pre-work: Working with the client for scheduling, and consideration of legal/regulatory/contractual requirements that may be a driver for scope)
• Onsite/Virtual/Hybrid scope event
• Post-work: A draft copy of a scoping guideline document that identifies key scope elements.
You don’t know what you don’t know. Our clients will tell you that the Scope and Assessment activities were by far the most beneficial in the entire readiness process. Clients are clear on what processes are being certified and who needs to be engaged, as well as the expectation of effort.
Whether performed at the same event or separate, the scope and assessment service is a multi-step engagement that focuses on education and data analysis.
With the scope of certification or compliance understood, Radian will then access the current state of those scoped elements specifically to the requirements of the standard or framework. Based on the identified gaps, an implementation plan will be created.
Our Assessment service includes:
• Pre-work: Working with the client for scheduling, preparation of training, data gathering requirements, and assessment materials.
• On-site assessment event (validate scoping, provide training, and requirements evaluation).
• Post-work: Evaluation of findings and preparation of executive summary including a timeline to achieve certification or compliance.
Once the assessment outcomes are provided to the client, informed decisions can be made on prioritizing the effort to close the gaps and build the ISO management system or compliance governance structure that meets both the business needs and is compliant with the standard for the framework.
• On our first call with a potential client, we often hear that a mature organization is in place, the process is set, and documentation exists. While that’s exciting to hear, in many cases we find that these attributes are not consistently executed, or multiple versions of documents may exist. The assessment will attempt to identify the usability of existing collateral, and test the consistency of execution in a process.
• Performing the scope and assessment events has given our clients the knowledge they need to properly manage the implementation phase to a) be more efficient, and b) reduce both internal and external costs.